[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Rick [Kitty5] rick at kitty5.com
Fri Jan 30 01:38:14 GMT 2004

On Thu, 2004-01-29 at 23:57, Ian Molton wrote:
> So, not a *serious* hobby then...

Serious enough, my point was the machine has to do other things besides.

> I have a heatpipe cooling my CPU - it comes free in the Shuttle XPC - the case, heatpipe, PSU, and motherboard come as a set and  cost 130UKP the lot.

Yes, but your kinda limited to what you can fit in a shuttle case.

http://www20.tomshardware.com/howto/20040115/index.html

> I consider Athlons that hit 80deg C to be destroyed. I've never had one get that hot and work reliably for more than a year afterwards.

no problems here, ok so i only tested the cut off once (and I know the
bios reads the temps 8 degrees higher than they actually are :)

That said, with stock heatsinks I was hitting 70 degrees at full load
(and sat next to what sounded like a turbine)

> what was wrong with athlon64 ?

It wasn't out when I went shopping, I could have waited a few months but
the high early adopters price would have put them out of budget anyway.

> Weird. is it PXA based or SA? Im using essentially the same driver if its PXA based and its solid as a rock here.

SA

> Yet it fails to work on any OS you use on it. Very useful :-)

Laptops and linux has always been a YMMV area.

> Yeah - under linux it works FAST...

depends if gcc had anything to do with it
--
Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key : http://pgp.kitty5.com