[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Ian Molton spyro at f2s.com
Fri Jan 30 16:44:18 GMT 2004

On Fri, 30 Jan 2004 14:37:46 -0000
"Rick [Kitty5]" <rick at kitty5.com> wrote:

> John Southern wrote:
> > Surrounded by machines, the real problem for me is noise from either
> > the PSU or even CPU fans.
> > As I do not feel confident about plumbing in a water cooled system,
> > what is the alternative?
>
> You can get quieter PSU's with variable speed fans (that you can turn right
> down),

Most of those are poor designs (even on Enermax PSUs its a gimmick feature) and the PSUs tend to end up running very hot.

> My best advice would be to lower the voltage your fans run at, best method
> would be some fan speed adjusters thingies,

Even then, only the active type - passive ones reduce torque which is critical when starting if the fan has sucked in a hair or lots of dust (or both).

> otherwise you can get 7V by

See above, AND...

> connecting a fan to both the 12V and 5V lines (as oppose to 12V and GND).

DONT do this. many PSUs are NOT tested against a 5V->12V short and you could end up aplying 12V or more to the 5V line if your fan fails shorted.

not to mention this will introduce a lot of noise between two lines where there wont be any filtering to attenuate it.

> A slight drop in RPM makes a massive difference to the noise level yet only
> increases your temps by a couple of degrees.

Some studies show a 2 degree (overall)  rise relative to the normal working temperature increases failure rates by over 20%.

> Try swapping small fans for larger ones (especially 60mm or smaller) you can
> get the same airflow at a lower speed and noise.

Good advice - if you have the space...

> Finally, watercooling has matured a great deal over the last few years and
> will make a dramatic difference to the number of fans you need. There is no
> reason why you could not build a single system to cool several boxes.

Water cooling is overkill, not to mention noisy and prone to leakage.

Do not meddle in the affairs of Dragons, for you are tasty and good with ketchup.