[SC.LUG] Bill Gates to be Knighted?

Rick [Kitty5] rick at kitty5.com
Fri Jan 30 14:38:38 GMT 2004

John Southern wrote:
> Surrounded by machines, the real problem for me is noise from either
> the PSU or even CPU fans.
> As I do not feel confident about plumbing in a water cooled system,
> what is the alternative?

You can get quieter PSU's with variable speed fans (that you can turn right
down), depending on the hardware you might be able to run 2 machines from
single psu. but work out the power consumptions very carefully (preferably
with a multimeter). Do not go over the rated watts on any of the lines.

My best advice would be to lower the voltage your fans run at, best method
would be some fan speed adjusters thingies, otherwise you can get 7V by
connecting a fan to both the 12V and 5V lines (as oppose to 12V and GND).

A slight drop in RPM makes a massive difference to the noise level yet only
increases your temps by a couple of degrees.

Try swapping small fans for larger ones (especially 60mm or smaller) you can
get the same airflow at a lower speed and noise.

Zalman do a range of very quite coolers but its not cheap, some stuff (like
the passive vga cooler) can take up a lot of space inside the pc.

Finally, watercooling has matured a great deal over the last few years and
will make a dramatic difference to the number of fans you need. There is no
reason why you could not build a single system to cool several boxes.

Rick

Kitty5 NewMedia http://Kitty5.com
POV-Ray News & Resources http://Povray.co.uk
TEL : +44 (01270) 501101 - ICQ : 15776037

PGP Public Key : http://pgp.kitty5.com