O and A levels [was Re: [SC.LUG] Robotics]

Neil Lucock neil.lucock at zen.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 19:22:26 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 16:08, Richard Smedley wrote:

> I think there is little hope in the short term for most schools, but
> in the end things have to change. If anyone would like to speed
> things along, please join AFFS' effort on this front:
>
> http://www.affs.org.uk/education/index.html
>
> Sorry to sound so depressed, but I covered some of this in an article
> for a government journal last week, and it left me feeling very down.
> If anyone would like to post sterling examples of how well IT is
> being taught at their local school,
Hi,

my daughter does IT at school (she's 12 3/4) and all they seem to learn
is how to use MS Office and Paintshop Pro.
She's pretty good with The Gimp on her own PC though and loves the games
that come with Mandrake.
I think she's the only person in class (including the teacher) who knows
that Linux and FreeBSD exist.
It's not a great situation (so, why doin't I do something about it?)

regards,
Neil