O and A levels [was Re: [SC.LUG] Robotics]

Jason Lucas jason at industrialarchaeology.co.uk
Fri Mar 19 22:45:28 GMT 2004

On Fri, 2004-03-19 at 19:23, Neil Lucock wrote:

> Hi,
>
> my daughter does IT at school (she's 12 3/4) and all they seem to learn
> is how to use MS Office and Paintshop Pro.
> She's pretty good with The Gimp on her own PC though and loves the games
> that come with Mandrake.
> I think she's the only person in class (including the teacher) who knows
> that Linux and FreeBSD exist.
> It's not a great situation (so, why doin't I do something about it?)
>
> regards,
> Neil

Well as Paul (FatMax) from Wilmslow HS said last month, it's a matter of
chip,chip,chip - It's going to take some time for Linux to hit the
average teacher in the street, I know that they are busy folk doing an
increasing difficult job with difficult and indifferent kids (I'm sure
many of my old teachers will concur on that point, especially - Mr.
Green, Mrs. Midforth, and Mr. Trill - Sorry - I really was an aggressive
little sod - still am, but in a nice way!)
Anyway, Neil - we are trying to do something about the situation - it's
just going to take time and a little patience (and maybe a terse letter
to an MP or two!)

J.