O and A levels [was Re: [SC.LUG] Robotics]

Geoff geoff at osbaldestin.net
Sat Mar 20 11:30:38 GMT 2004

I think most schools could save money buy not using M$ for most things,
though as most business' insist on using M$ bloatware (ie Office) then
schools will always need to be at leat covering this area.
I think this is something the LUG's could assist in. Assisting local
schools in saving money, using Linux boxes as the core school servers,
using MySQL | Postgress sql servers.

As all schools are supposed to be getting connected to the internet via
(at least) broadband connections
(http://www.silicon.com/networks/broadband/0,39024661,39119199,00.htm),
this is where the additional security of Linux could come into its own.

Only through the sharing of knowledge of Linux (for Free) will schools
ever really move to using it. Most schools (governors | headmasters)
will have no interest in this area, especially if it means spending more
money, though IMHO if it can be shown they can save money, then I think
they would quickly come on board.

Does anyone have any information as to what the National Standards /
Curriculum (or whatever they are called) are for ICT?

Sorry to preach, but in I am forced to be a M$ agent.

Geoff