[SC.LUG] Partitions!

damian at damosoft.co.uk damian at damosoft.co.uk
Sun Mar 21 22:53:15 GMT 2004

On Sun, 21 Mar 2004, Greg Bolshaw wrote:

> damian at damosoft.co.uk wrote:
> > Im in the process of getting a webserver sorted out hardware consists
> > of: dual PIII 1Ghz, 2x 120Gb IDEs, 1Gb ram.
> > It will be running Fedora Core 1 and apache, mysql, probably jabber
> > and also handle my emails.
> >
> > Question to the gurus tonight is, how should I setup those discs?
> > I was thinking about mirroring one onto the other for backup
> > purposes, but how should I actually partition the 120Gb? /boot, / and
> > a swap or something better?
>
> Apache, MySQL, Jabber and any MTA will all be reliant on a sensible
> sized /var partition. It'll also be a good idea to put /var/log onto a
> separate partition for obvious reasons.
>
> Consider this:
>
> swap		-	2gig	(2 x RAM)
> /boot		-	50meg	(ext2)
> /		-	10gig	(ext3)
> /var		-	90gig	(reiser)
> /var/log	-	15gig	(ext3)
> [spare]		-	3gig	(for future use)

Ok, I'm gonna need the largest to be /home as I am offering hosting here
in the form of /home/username/public_html etc

Ive never used reiser before... time for a google :)

> > Is the software mirroring on Linux any good for IDEs?
>
> Not great with that amount of memory. Try doubling it, and it'll be
> fine.
>
> > I also have a PCI IDE RAID controller which I could pop in.
>
> ...that sounds a better option.

Good, I'm also thinking about the second drive to mount at backup time,
copy what I want over, then unmount it.  so its more like a dumping
ground.  Any comments on that?

--
Damian Parker
Damosoft