[SC.LUG] Wednesday Night, Digital camera's and LinuxFX website.

Paul Alexander mail at linuxfx.go-plus.net
Tue Mar 23 16:35:38 GMT 2004

Hi Listers,
I am up for wednesday night, coming from the direction of Disley.
Disley appears not to be the centre of anything, unless accompanied by
the strains of 'Dueling Banjo's'.

A quick fix for digital camera's on Linux could be as follows -
Start up computer with camera turned off.
Connect the camera via usb and then turn it on, check in /var/log/messages
this should output a USB mass storage device entry within the messages,
and you may
hear your computer registering the added device.
Try to manually mount the device as root -
# mount /dev/sda1 /mnt
#ls /mnt

if /dev/sda1 /mnt does not find the device, try  /dev/sdb1  /dev/sdc1 etc.
the output when the camera is found should give something like -
#ls /mnt
dcim misc olympusc150.dsc, or perhaps just dcim
once this is found, the photographs should be accesible within gThumb by
typing in mnt/dcim
The dcim folder should contain the name of the camera and thus the
contents within.
You can create an automounter at start up, but if your camera only needs
the updated gtkam it may not be worth it.
fwiw, I have the updated gtkam, but my camera is still not supported in
this package, so use this process.
Hope this works for you. Please ensure camera is turned off before
disconnecting / connecting to computer.

Having recently written to Richard Smedley about my new website -
www.linuxfx.co.uk
he suggested a short note to the list before tomorrow night's meeting
(to which I may appear wearing disguise
if my site is the subject of intense flaming). I did the site after the
discussion about the lack of Linux promotion
in the area, and the UK in general. this is just something I had been
kicking around in my head for a while, so
decided to put it on the site. If you do have a look, please remember -
a) it is unfinished, and b) is slightly patchy
in some areas. Anyway, have a look and let me know of any typos you may
find etc.
Anyway, hope the camera stuff is of use.
Until tomorrow, Paul.