[SC.LUG] Jobs and a heart warming story!

Jason Lucas jason at industrialarchaeology.co.uk
Mon May 3 12:57:46 BST 2004

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your support and advice. The job centre was helpful and I've
got one interview lined up for tomorrow. These are tough times for
everyone, however I noticed this quite heartwarming story on the Hants
LUG (despite the 'Big Brother' overtones!) :

Peter Salisbury wrote:
> On Saturday 01 May 2004 21:35, Laura Cowen wrote:
> > In the May issue of the Baddesley Beadle, a newsletter for the
> > Parish of
> > North Baddesley[1], between meeting notices for the Romsey Flower
> > Arranging Society and the Pegasus Badminton Group, Romsey, I found
> > this:
> >
> > 'Youth group combats vandalism'
> > We have a thriving youth group, "ROX", who were quite taken aback at
> > the
> > amount of vandalism at "their" church over the past few weeks. They
> > reacted in a very high tech manner, by building a computer from
> > scratch
> > to run the super-advanced Linux computer operating system. The
> > computer
> > constantly monitors CCTV cameras around the church and records
> > suspicious events for later viewing. It has already had some good
> > results - thank you ROX!
> >
> > (submitted by the C of E Parishes of Chilworth and North Baddesley)
> >

> > Cheers,
> >
> > Laura
>

> I'm impressed the news got around so quickly! That's the church where
> I'm the
> vicar and I wrote the article. Do you like the 'super-advanced' bit?
> The
> program they're running is ZoneMinder (www.zoneminder.com) which is
> really
> brilliant for CCTV monitoring. It does the motion detection by image
> analysis
> rather than passive IR and allows you to define zones in the image
> which are
> of special interest. Lots of other goodies too. Like most Open source
> software there is good support from a user forum.
>
> Peter

I thought it might be something to do with someone on here.

Yes, I particularly liked the 'super-advanced' bit.:-)

Laura