[SC.LUG] Re: Sounds Funny

Simeon Farrington swfarrington at beeb.net
Mon May 17 15:02:57 BST 2004

Hi Owen

Thanks for the response

"If you used ext2/ext3 file systems, GNU parted does handle resizing
them, as well as moving them, shifting space into an extended
partition, and so on.  It is awkward to use, but it does, in my
experience, work quite reliably.

Parted certainly does allow you to move adjacent space into the
extended partition..................Parted is at gnu mirrors in
/pub/gnu/parted (or the equivalent) and comes with a bootable floppy
image which contains a help file and a pager program."

Had a look at the manual and that seems fairly straightforward. What I'm not sure (and I don't think the manual says either way) is whether you can resize the actual extended partition (which currently doesn't reach to the end of the HDD) as well as resizing the logical partitions within it. However, your comment suggests I can so hopefully I can reclaim this space reasonably "easily" :)

"If you mean in X, sarge does seem to configure PS/2 mice as 'auto' or
'generic' PS/2; something similar happens with gpm, if you use that.
I find two-button PS/2 mice normally need simple PS/2 as the type,
while three-button or wheelmice need ImPS/2 or one of the others.
The full list of types for PS/2 mice in X in sarge is this:"

I had a look at the XF86Config-4 file and it appeared to list both "auto" and "ImPS/2". I had a hack around with the file to no avail but then stopped once I realised it worked as a USB mouse.

"You can try running sndconfig, though I find it segfaults a lot on
Sarge machines.  Sound problems are a bit difficult to diagnose
remotely!  If you try Knoppix and it works, you might just copy
the two sndconfig files /etc/modutils/sndconfig and whatever
the other one is (different names for each sound card) to your
hard drive."

Well, I discovered that the superuser could get some sense out of the mixer which led me to believe it was a permissions issue - so I tweaked /dev/mixer, /dev/midi and /dev/dsp and it all worked.

It's funny how so much of this stuff you don't completely forget having had a break, although I shuddered away from compiling a new kernel!!! I'm sure it was never as scary all though months ago :p

Cheers!

Simeon