[SC.LUG] New Member Intro.

Andy andy at southcheshire.co.uk
Thu Sep 16 18:30:20 BST 2004

Hi,

Just joined the list after finding the Cheshire LUG by accident in this
month's Linux Format mag.

I'm a home/desktop user of Mandrake 10, and the sum total of my Linux
experience is 2 years of playing with a dual-boot XP/MDK system, and
finally to 100% Linux a month or so ago. All self taught of course.
I plan to start experimenting with other distros soon, but Mandrake has
really been a superb induction for me.

At work I have become responsible (amongst other things) for
administering a Windows 2000 server-based network, with 10-ish clients
running Win XP professional. All self taught again. My 'real' job is in
electronic component sales (IC's, caps, resistors etc), but my boss
discovered I had other skills so he gets a side order of 'IT-Bloke' with
his Sales Manager :)  I suppose a little knowledge can be dangerous
sometimes, but it's worked out OK so far, and I do have a real-life IT
contractor to call in if I mess anything up too much.

Additionally, I build PC's for work, family and friends (as I guess most
of us do these days?) and also enjoy modifying xboxes to run media
players, emulators and other 'home brew' applications (including Linux)

I hope I can contribute something of value occasionally, but I guess I
may be asking more daft questions than I'm answering.

Regards,

Andy T. (of Sandbach)