[SC.LUG] ManLUG meetings for April and May 2005

Dr A V Le Blanc LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk
Wed Apr 13 15:57:37 BST 2005

ManLUG meetings for April and May 2005

April 16 2005, 14:00, in the usual place, the Lascelles Williams
room on the ground floor of the Kilburn Building at the University
of Manchester.  (For more information, see our web site:
http://www.manlug.man.ac.uk, under 'How to find us'.)  Reminder:
Please bring a 'photo ID' to show the porters if you are asked.

     Installfest

Several people have asked for an installfest, since the last one
was half a year ago, so here it is.  Experts, please bring some
CDs or DVDs; we might have a couple of the latest Ubuntu install
and live CDs, but the freebies they often send have not yet
arrived.  Please feel free to bring hardware if you want to have
us install Linux on it for you, or if you want us to sort out one
or more of your problems.

WARNING:  If you do bring hardware, please do remember to back it
up first.  Your data, whether under XP or under older versions of
Linux, may not survive!

May 21 2005, 14:00, usual place.

Iain Roberts of Axiom Tech & Open Source Consortium has offered
to present something about OpenOffice: what is new in version 2,
and what are some of the advanced features.  He's currently
helping to write the user guide for this.

James Youngman and Dave Gilbert have offered to present some of
the things related to the examples-for-manual-pages project started
as a result of Dave Fisher's visit last month.  Their proposal --
still to be implemented and perhaps revised -- is to describe how
they are searching for man pages without examples, what they find
that is in need of being fixed, how far they have got, how we
(ManLUG members) can help, how to use nroff to write man pages,
and perhaps more.

Possibly not in May but later, Richard Jarvis has offered to
present something about software that you can use to take notes:
for example, freemind, kjots, emacs in records mode, tellico, and
perhaps others.  He remarks 'One day I'll find one I like'.

     -- Owen
     LeBlanc at mcc.ac.uk

For PGP key 1024 bits 4BDCFB31, see http://www.man.ac.uk/~zlsiial/
or send email to pgp-public-keys at keys.pgp.net.
Key fingerprint = DC 60 81 A4 33 7F 95 40  D0 86 3B 51 48 0A AC 0E