[SC.LUG] More About Trebus

Frank Mitchell mitchell at cloudynwuk.force9.co.uk
Tue Dec 20 19:22:38 GMT 2005

Dear LUGs,

Inevitably there were some details about Trebus which I omitted from the txt
files, and which occurred to me a couple of hours after sending you the Zip
Archive.

You need to avoid excessive Filename Lengths and Path Lengths, because
Trebus currently doesn't check that you've gone over its limits. The Maximum
Filename Length = 64 characters and the Maximum Path Length = 240
characters. This Max Path Length applies both to the File's Real Path on
Hard Disk, and the Intended Path Length on your CD using Symbolic Links.
Windows shouldn't have a problem reading the Filename Length, but Path
Lengths could exceed the Joliet Specification. However both are within the
Enhanced ISO9660 Specification dated 1999.

If you want to record Windows Files along with Linux Files, you probably
want DOS Filenames to look the same, which isn't the default. You'll need to
edit /etc/fstab, mounting vfat with "rw,shortname=mixed" to get the case of
Short Filenames to match.

Re the Daylight Savings Bug: Microsoft Timezones are listed with the
opposite sign to Debian GMT-Plus-Or-Minus Timezones, though this won't
affect UK Residents.

Re-reading LGPL it looks as if I should have included libc in the Copyright
Notice and offered to send you all the Trebus Object Files in case you're
into modifying libc Source Code. Your right to Modify and Reverse Engineer
Trebus is in fact guaranteed by European Law under similar circumstances to
the LGPL scenario. That doesn't mean you're entitled to plagiarise it, and
as long as I'm prepared to maintain it, I suspect everybody would prefer you
to leave it alone.

My understanding is that I can never get a Patent on Trebus, because it only
involves standard IT Peripherals.

I have no idea whether Trebus will work with USB Drives, though my sources
suggest you won't damage your drive if you try a dummy Trebus run to find
out.

I sent an extra copy of the Trebus Zip Archive to Dave Briggs, who said he
wouldn't mind putting it on the SC_LUG Wiki for download.

Faictz Ce Que Vouldras: Frank Mitchell