[SC.LUG] Audio CD Recording

Frank Mitchell mitchell at cloudynwuk.force9.co.uk
Tue Dec 27 18:55:51 GMT 2005

I knew somebody would mention Audio Tracks sooner or later.

Anybody interested should go to the T10 Website and download MMC-1 and
SPC-1, maybe some others later. Look at the Table of ATAPI Commands in MMC-1
and you discover Audio Tracks use a different Command Set from Data Tracks.
They use a different Block Format too, which as far as I recall requires a
different WRITE Command. And Disk Locations are expressed as Minutes +
Seconds + Frames, not Logical Blocks.

Plus you probably want to do entirely different things with your Audio
Tracks, compared to your Data Tracks. In fact they belong in an entirely
separate Program. Does anybody fancy writing one?

In practice I know little about Audio Tracks, and I didn't research them in
detail. But it would be relatively easy to invent an Audio Track Recorder,
because you don't have the bother of setting up a File-System. If anybody's
interested I could give him an idea of how to use the sg Character Driver
and suchlike.

How the Author licenses his Audio Software would of course be his choice.

Faictz Ce Que Vouldras: Frank Mitchell