[SC.LUG] Using FAT partitions r/w accessible from Linux and MS XP

Roger Gibson rcgibson at iee.org
Sun Feb 27 10:38:25 GMT 2005

Sorry to be asking such a questionable question, but I have managed
(apparently successfully) to repartition my 2 hard discs by adding some
FAT32 partitions.  MS XP seems happy with these, and Suse 8.2 recognises
them, and read/writes to them quite happily.

The only problem seems to be that when writing from Suse 8.2 using cp -p
etc, the FAT partition refuses the timestamp and gives the copied file
the current time.  Otherwise everything looks fine.  I can not think how
access writes etc can affect the time stamp if I can write the file in
the first place.

This is quite important to me as I use this to support software on other
installations, and having the same timestamp enables me to be sure of
the up to dateness of files.

Has anyone any ideas please, other than castigating me for treachery?

I'll have to get to a meeting soon and put faces to names.