[SC.LUG] Fedora Core and MythTV

Andy Roffe aroffe at its-linux.co.uk
Mon Jul 4 12:19:18 BST 2005

John,

I don't know if this will help but I built an FC3 Kernel,  2.6.11 not sure of the revision as I got clever shortly afterwards and hosed it to do the job in Debian. This was a mistake as debian is being a real ball ache.
I'll be doing FC3 again soon but it was definitely a rebuild of the latest FC3 kernel source (rev 35?). I just patched the kernel with V4L2 patches, ran make menuconfig and doublechecked .config by hand.

FWIW my box is an Aopen shuttle type box. It has SATA on board but I'm actually using an normal IDE disk.

I also had Myth working at the weekend and it seemed fine, TVout was ok and the only thing left now is the remote.
I had a problem with DVD playback - no audio - I'm certain this is just libcss though. I couldn't get Myth to Rip CD's either, Although the default FC3 ripper did the job ok so I can get that to work. Getting myth to scan for channels was fun too - you have to be very specific but once you are it's great. I ended up with all the encrypted channels though and the epg ended up looking a bit messy. Tuning to SKY NEWS blows it up though. No surprise there and as I like something resembling news I don't watch the SKY Version anyway. Disappointingly, BBC News seems to be heading the same way but that's another subject.

I used ATRpms all the way _except_ for the kernel, I used the source rpm and once I had done the magic and got the .bz2 f file, I just did the usual stuff. There are a few FC3 kernel how-to's around and I used bits from some of them as they are mostly broken :( My recipe is, cp the .config from the src rpm to the kernel src tree, patch with V4L2 drivers (making sure only the stuff we want from V4L2 is enabled, which in our case is cx88 and cx88_dvb) then make, make modules_install and finally make install. That worked for me - any other variation got me either a panic or a hung box.

As soon as I have properly retraced the steps and cleaned it up a bit I'll do a How-to.

If you have specific questions, I'll do my best to help.