[SC.LUG] more networking fun

Robert Marshall robert at chezmarshall.freeserve.co.uk
Fri Jul 8 21:51:47 BST 2005

I've just acquired a router and am having problems getting the network
setup correctly. Previously I had two machines connected via an
ethernet cable one of which masqeraded internet traffic via our NTL
connection which works fine.

I want to set things up like

           eth0        192.168.0.53 eth1                  192.168.0.54
[Internet] -----------[box1] ------------[router]----[box2]

				         [box3] 192.168.0.55

The (dlink) router has wireless but I don't have wireless cards and the
physical connections are easier(?!) to setup. The router is more
convenient there rather than between box1 and the internet because of
the geometry of the boxes within the house.

I've used drakconnect (the mandrake tool) to set up the network at the
various boxes, but at the moment box2/3 can see the router and that's it!

However from box1 end it can't get as far as the router traceroute just
timing out, box2 and box3 can see each other with no problems

Not sure whether it's my router settings or the box1 settings at fault?

I have the router expecting fixed ip addresses set to an ip address of
192.168.0.1

from box 1 route gives me

Kernel IP routing table
Destination     Gateway         Genmask         Flags Metric Ref    Use Iface
192.168.0.0     *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth1
81.97.79.0      *               255.255.255.0   U     0      0        0 eth0
default         cpc1-macc1-6-0- 0.0.0.0         UG    0      0        0 eth0

Do I need to replace the eth1 routing with a gateway?
I'm sure I'm missing something obvious and a clue would be welcome!

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/
Robert Marshall