[SC.LUG] more networking fun

Andy Roffe aroffe at its-linux.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 13:59:55 BST 2005

\Robert,

I've only looked at this briefly but the way you have described it, this
doesn't work.
Routers, by definition, are designed to connect _different_ networks. In
your diagram every machine including the router belong to the same
network, namely 192.168.0.0/24. (Actually there is a way to make this
setup work but it is very complicated) It looks as though the router in
your diagram needs to be a bridge which would also be complicated,
especially for a dlink router :). If I make some assumptions, this'll
work :

The simplest way to solve this, assuming the router _must_ be situated
as you have it would be to create different networks for each physical
segment.
Before we get into that however, can you tell me more about the router?
Are box 2 and box 3 connected to the different interfaces or does the
router treat them as the same interface, many routers like this have
built in hubs or switches. What model of router is it ?

In all probability you need box2, box3 and the corresponding router
interface to be in 1 network with the router as gateway. Then you will
need to create a network between the outside router interface and and
box1 (eth1), the router then needs box1 as its default gateway. Box 1
then has its default gateway via eth0. Of course,
if you require routes back to boxes 2 and 3, you'll need a static route
on box1 via the router.

It sounds complicated but isn't really. It just depends on why you want
a router and why it is sited there on the network.
A lot depends on the capabilities of the router and how it's interfaces
are configured. If you can describe exactly what you want to achieve,
I'll do a diagram for you.

Hope that helps.

Andy Roffe

ITS-Linux Ltd