[SC.LUG] more networking fun

Robert Marshall robert at chezmarshall.freeserve.co.uk
Sat Jul 9 20:20:10 BST 2005

On Sat, 9 Jul 2005, Andy Roffe wrote:

> \Robert,
>
> I've only looked at this briefly but the way you have described it, this
> doesn't work.
> Routers, by definition, are designed to connect _different_ networks. In
> your diagram every machine including the router belong to the same
> network, namely 192.168.0.0/24. (Actually there is a way to make this
> setup work but it is very complicated) It looks as though the router in
> your diagram needs to be a bridge which would also be complicated,
> especially for a dlink router :). If I make some assumptions, this'll
> work :

I wondered if it might be something like this...

> The simplest way to solve this, assuming the router _must_ be situated
> as you have it would be to create different networks for each physical
> segment.

box2 & 3 are very close but there's around 15m between box1 (and the
internet connection)  and the router and I'd prefer not to have two sets of
cables unless the problems avoiding that make it not worthwhile

> Before we get into that however, can you tell me more about the router?
> Are box 2 and box 3 connected to the different interfaces or does the
> router treat them as the same interface, many routers like this have
> built in hubs or switches. What model of router is it ?

I think they're the same interface. It's a DI-614+

> In all probability you need box2, box3 and the corresponding router
> interface to be in 1 network with the router as gateway. Then you will
> need to create a network between the outside router interface and and
> box1 (eth1), the router then needs box1 as its default gateway. Box 1
> then has its default gateway via eth0. Of course,
> if you require routes back to boxes 2 and 3, you'll need a static route
> on box1 via the router.

I do

> It sounds complicated but isn't really. It just depends on why you want
> a router and why it is sited there on the network.
> A lot depends on the capabilities of the router and how it's interfaces
> are configured. If you can describe exactly what you want to achieve,
> I'll do a diagram for you.

Thanks, want box1 to do most of the firewalling (yes I know it's a wireless
router so there's a bit of a hole there!) and am using it as a
transparent proxy for web access and as a printer and file server.

Does that make any sense?

Robert
--
Links and things http://rmstar.blogspot.com/