[SC.LUG] Small quiet games box

Ewan Leith ewan at bcs.org
Tue Jun 14 23:27:52 BST 2005

I've got a couple of the little itx boxes for experimenting with, in
terms of performance i'd say they were comparable to an old pentium with
about 200mhz less clock speed, so a 500mhz via chip is like an old
300mhz pentium2, and the 1ghz is like an 800mhz pentium3. certainly
usable, but not something for cpu intensive work.

in terms of price/performance you're almost certainly better off looking
at something like
http://www.bigpockets.co.uk/product.php?lang=&menu=peripherals&product=RG-OFFER0098&session=3f64a234814613d468f0fa52371ce24f

but of course that won't be as small or as quiet.

personally, these days i'd just go for a laptop instead of a pc unless
the person was a serious gameplayer.

medion are selling a new laptop for £375 inc vat, dell are only a little
more expensive. 2nd hand stuff can go for silly prices, like £300 for
late years middle of the line models

https://www.medionshop.co.uk/ukshop/b2c/productdetail.do?productguid=42959AED3BFD301AE10000000A00005B4040BA637E26427AE00000306E0F2A06&productarea=42959AED3BFD301AE10000000A00005B&scenario=bestseller&forward=showcua

Ewan