[SC.LUG] Fedora Core 4

Cockroft, John John.Cockroft at GB.Unisys.com
Wed Jun 22 12:49:01 BST 2005

I have tried a few different distros and keep going back to Fedora.  FC3
is great, very stable and with apt-get and synaptic installed becomes as
easy to upgrade and install things as the Debian based distros such as
Ubuntu and MEPIS.  I have been trying to get MythTV running under Linux
and this is hard work but do-able under Fedora whereas getting my
hardware supported OK is nigh on impossible under Ubuntu and MEPIS.

FC4 is much better than FC3 in terms of modern hardware support (support
my Hauppauge Nova-T with the stock kernel - that impressed me!) but
getting apt-get and synaptic working at the moment is a bit painful
under FC4 (I ended up using the FC3 apt-get from the DAG repository and
compiling synaptic from source from the same repository).  I guess that
FC4 will become much better to use when the ATrpms, DAG, CCRMA fully
support apt-get and synaptic under FC4.

John Cockroft.