[SC.LUG] RE: SC Digest, Vol 99, Issue 3USB ADSL Modem

Michael A Orton michael_orton at tiscali.co.uk
Tue Nov 1 21:34:18 GMT 2005

I tried to get Tiscali running with the SAGEM 800 f at st USB modem.
I tried various help groups inTiscali and nobody had got it running with
Linux (SuSe 9.3 pro)
I got a MENTOR ADSL Modem router a type MR4C/UK its a x4 output.
It can be set up as a USB, but it also has its ownmains power unit.
It comes with a lead thet you stick in the adsl port of the phone line filter,
the other end into the in cat 5 in the modem.
Then its straight-throug cat5 ethernet leads to up to 4 pcs or laptops.
Set up.
Switch all on, in main PC open Opera, IE, Konquerer and http://10.0.0.6 <enter>
and up pops a window asking for your tiscali  login.name at tiscali.co.uk and
password
Then http://www.tiscali.co.uk/broadband and it either Linux, XP or 98se the
Tiscali front page loads.
I use Opera 8.5 for all systems (free download for Linux get the rpm, click
on it ... Install with YAST... root pw..
let it do its stuff.
There is a CD that tells you how to improve the set up for security, which
you can do when tou have got it up and running
google MENTOR ADSL MR4C and you will find a uK supplier. they are £26 + vat.
I got a bunch of used cat 5 cable from Enterprise recycling in porthmadog
for a fiver , they only supply one.
They say it is good for 10 mhz... I have just upgraded to 1 Mhz unlimited
PC worls wanted £60+ and didn't know if it would work with Linux.
The SAGAM 800 f at st is good as a backup if you have windoze or dual/triple
boot.
I kept the old Pace 56k as a fax, or as a backup.

Mike Orton., CSci., CPhys., MInstP., MSRP., DCT(Batt). PGCE(Wales).
All outgoing mail checked using FRISK's FP-win
with daily updates.

Unlimited Tiscali Broadband from 14.99!