[SC.LUG] USB DSL Modems

Eion MacDonald eionmac at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 2 10:07:10 GMT 2005

Dear sir,
20051102

USB DSL modems and Linux.

I have had problems in using a straigh DSL modem with Linux. Partly as
firmware neds to be altered from "Winmodem"   internals configuration in
basic modems given out by ISPs.

I gave up, and put ISPs modem back in its box as reserve hardware, and
installed a "modem/router" which works well under either windows or Linux or
both. In my case I set up modem router under windows as my ISP (BT) does not
support Linux but once installed it works with both OSs very well.

For security reason, I use as an ethernet wired connection, to computer, not
wireless, although wireless set up is supported by themodem/router.

Regards
Eion MacDonald (eionmac at btinternet.com)
 Tel. +44 (0) 1925762873