[SC.LUG] Choosing a distro - KDE or Gnome

Dave Briggs linux at davebriggs.net
Thu Oct 13 15:20:14 BST 2005

What with being a bit of a beginner with Linux, and being about to start setting
up my first proper system, I am going to have to start asking some pretty basic
questions, which hopefully won't spark too many flame wars between various
factions!

I haven't yet decided on a distro, but before I do I have some questions about
desktops.

Most distros seem to be connected to one of the main desktops (ie KDE or Gnome)
in some way, though obviously making both available. Before I get to thinking
about which of the two is the best to go for, what difference does it really
make? If I decided to go for Gnome, would it ruin my linux life to use a distro
that prefers KDE?

Also, where applications are focussed towards one desktop or another - does it
really matter if you use them under a different one, other than it possibly not
being as aesthetically pleasing, possibly?

And lastly, which is best out of KDE and Gnome?! [ducks]

Thanks all

--
Dave Briggs
linux at davebriggs.net | http://davebriggs.net | http://palimpsest.org.uk