[SC.LUG] Choosing a distro - KDE or Gnome

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Thu Oct 13 15:34:24 BST 2005

On Thursday 13 Oct 2005 15:18, Dave Briggs wrote:
> What with being a bit of a beginner with Linux, and being about to start
> setting up my first proper system, I am going to have to start asking some
> pretty basic questions, which hopefully won't spark too many flame wars
> between various factions!
>
> I haven't yet decided on a distro, but before I do I have some questions
> about desktops.
>
> Most distros seem to be connected to one of the main desktops (ie KDE or
> Gnome) in some way, though obviously making both available. Before I get to
> thinking about which of the two is the best to go for, what difference does
> it really make? If I decided to go for Gnome, would it ruin my linux life
> to use a distro that prefers KDE?
>
> Also, where applications are focussed towards one desktop or another - does
> it really matter if you use them under a different one, other than it
> possibly not being as aesthetically pleasing, possibly?
>
> And lastly, which is best out of KDE and Gnome?! [ducks]
>
> Thanks all

First a proviso, I currently use GNOME.

that said, I would say the main difference between the desktops is that KDE is
much more user configurable.

With gnome you pretty much get what you are given if you like it fine if not
tough.

Despite many advances in gnome recently I would still say KDE is slightly
ahead.

As to using KDE apps under know and gnome apps under KDE I've found no
problems.

I use Kmail under gnome with no problems.

   Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.
Please avoid sending me Word or PowerPoint attachments, thanks.