New *nix users on the list [was Re: [SC.LUG] Meeting - Five minutes of fame!]

Richard Smedley richard.smedley03 at ntlworld.com
Fri Aug 25 14:31:12 BST 2006

On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 04:33 +0100, Jason Lucas wrote:
> Hows about a 'five minutes of fame' talk on your first computer?

ZX81, built from kit.
I'd been waiting ages for home-computing to become that
affordable - my better-off friends all had Apple ][s and
UK101s in the late 70s   8-)

> My first intro to computing was on a Tandy TRS (Trash) 80, followed by a
> love affair with a Sinclair Spectrum 16K. Ahh! IBM AT 286's and 2400
> baud modems - the memories come flooding back. QuickSilver
> BBS, FIDOnet, Merkinstead, and the Manchester SysOp meetings at the
> Barleycorn in Manchester. Those were the days, my friends.

I think that you may need more than 5 minutes ;-)

> There is a pub in Macc called "Number 15" (ex Yates), it's on Waters
> Green, It's a trendy pub & therefore largely empty during the week.
> Plenty of car parking outside pub and across teh road.
>
> Could someone suggest a date & time?

September 12th, 13th or 14th?

Tuesdays were okay before - but I know that some people
couldn't do that day.

On Sunday 13 August 2006 14:52, Martyn Kinder wrote:
> I am doing a lot of work with the BAA Radio Astronomy Group developing
> Radio Telescope for Amateurs. And it uses open source software as
> well...
>
> If there is enough interest, I can cobble a presentation together for
> Octoberish if required. Mined ewes, it will be more than 5 mins - say
90
> of your earth minutes...

That would be great - how about 4 weeks after the September meeting?

Cheers,

Richard Smedley,                                      RichardS at bvsc.org
Free Software Evangelist,
Midland Open Source Technology.                 http://www.most.org.uk/
                           ``Software Freedom for the Voluntary Sector''