[SC.LUG] Mandriva and network lock-ups

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 14:08:20 GMT 2006

On Mon, 2006-02-27 at 13:50 +0000, Cockroft, John wrote:
> * Ubuntu (good basic desktop but hardware detection is not a patch on
> FC, SuSE or Mandriva and I haven't managed to get it working on my
> Athlon 64 system yet)

I find the hardware detection in Ubuntu one of the best myself, although
they are all pretty good now.  I would try a 32bit kernel first as
software support for 64bit, especially proprietary is a bit thin on the
ground.

> I would like to have a single distro across all my machines but
> unfortunately I didn't do my homework well when picking my latest
> motherboard (http://www.asrock.com/product/939S56-M.htm ) and the SiS
> chipset is not well supported by many distros.

Good luck with that, I wrote some kernel patches to get an earlier 64bit
SiS based board to work and helped test others (I believe most are now
in the newest kernels).  SiS and ASUS seem to make things very hard for
kernel hackers lately.
Ubuntu dapper and FC5-tests will probably work.

Regards
Andrew

--
Andrew Hutchings (A-Wing) - Linux Guru