[SC.LUG] Mandriva and network lock-ups

Damian Parker damian at damosoft.co.uk
Mon Feb 27 15:27:35 GMT 2006

On Mon, Feb 27, 2006 at 01:50:13PM -0000, Cockroft, John wrote:
> I have been using Linux on and off for years and my PCs have been
> dual-boot for years but I have recently got so cheesed off with Windows
> and Microsoft's attitude to consumers that I have decided enough is
> enough and want to ditch Windows completely (except possibly on my
> daughter's PC as dual boot due to the short sighted dependence that
> schools now have on Microsoft software).  I might play with Cednega and
> Crossover-Office on here to try and ditch Windows on this PC as well.
>
> My favourite distros are:
>
> * Fedora Core (my MythTV box runs FC4 - but I find the UI not friendly
> enough for non-techies like my missus)
>
> * Mandriva/Mandrake (used to use this until 10.0 came out)
>
> * SuSE (nicest desktop - IMHO)
>
> * Ubuntu (good basic desktop but hardware detection is not a patch on
> FC, SuSE or Mandriva and I haven't managed to get it working on my
> Athlon 64 system yet)
>
> * SimplyMEPIS (excellent detection, but non-standard kernel is a pain
> and UI admin tools a joke)

A fact is that they all use the same desktop, its just a
different flavour of themes and icons :)  for example if you want
lots of UI admin tools on gentoo, just emerge them in.

I would stick to something you like the base of, then basically
install software to achieve what the others are doing as default.

> I would like to have a single distro across all my machines but
> unfortunately I didn't do my homework well when picking my latest
> motherboard (http://www.asrock.com/product/939S56-M.htm ) and the SiS
> chipset is not well supported by many distros.

Compile a kernel with its support and any distro will work with
it :)

--

Damian Parker