[SC.LUG] DVD fun

Gareth Bowker tgb at fsfe.org
Thu Jan 5 18:48:49 GMT 2006

On Thu, Jan 05, 2006 at 01:55:19PM +0000, Simeon W Farrington wrote:

> Having mixed success watching DVDs on my debian sarge system. I've got
> the libdvdcss2 files unpacked but I have one DVD (the rather excellent
> Bagpuss DVD :) ) which works fine and another music DVD which crashes
> out of ogle and xine/kaffeine with this error:
[...]
> libdvdread: Can't seek to block 2486684
[...]
> libdvdread: Can't seek to block 3401214
[...]
> libdvdread: Can't seek to block 3401214

Looking at libdvdread's source, that looks like an error coming back
from the drive - the software's asking for a specific block of data off
the DVD, which the drive is failing to get. It could be a hardware
problem with the drive (I get something similar when I've used the
drive for a bit, the heat seems to confuse the poor thing), or it could
just be that the disc is scratched. Other players might work if they
have a stronger laser, for example.

The fact that both players are failing to read the same block (3401214)
suggests it could be a scratch, as it's failing in the same place...

HTH,

Gareth