[SC.LUG] Re: Exciting news

Andrew Hutchings info at a-wing.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 08:22:58 GMT 2006

On Saturday 28 January 2006 02:30, Adrian Wontroba wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:04:01AM +0000, Andrew Hutchings wrote:
> > I still get spam for the previous head of NWLUG, and I took over 3 years
> > ago.
>
> I still get spam for email addresses which died over 10 years ago. Once
> an address gets into one of those millions long lists, it seems to be
> there for ever.
>
> I recently published another @stade address, in clear, in a couple of
> mailing lists. Spam started up within a few weeks.
>
> My own solution is to (pay Gradwell to run) SpamAssassin and use
> procmail locally. Anything scoring 5 or more never gets looked at, 2-5
> go off to mailboxes which I sometimes inspect, and the junk hitting my
> main mailbox is bearable.
>
> I have never published my works email address, yet the amount of spam it
> gets is climbing. Outlook address book grabbing malware is probably the
> cause.  All our addresses are relatively new due to a reorganisation,
> and we temporarily, and then permanently, dropped our old domain due to
> the amount of spam it was getting.

That is a bit of a low score base to be working with, for example genuine eBay
and Paypal messages can score higher than 5 unless you have tuned your rules.
My server filters anything 5 or more into a spam box and anything that clamav
detects into a virus box.  These 2 get around 200 a day between them for my 5
main domain names (it filters more for my wife and she only uses 1 domain
name), a few slip the net but that is mainly because I am currently
retraining the bayesian filter.

The worst ones for spam are domain names I dropcaught/sniped, but I sold most
of them on :)

Regards
Andrew
--