[SC.LUG] Re: Exciting news

Adrian Wontroba aw1 at stade.co.uk
Sat Jan 28 02:35:56 GMT 2006

On Fri, Jan 27, 2006 at 10:04:01AM +0000, Andrew Hutchings wrote:

> I still get spam for the previous head of NWLUG, and I took over 3 years ago.

I still get spam for email addresses which died over 10 years ago. Once
an address gets into one of those millions long lists, it seems to be
there for ever.

I recently published another @stade address, in clear, in a couple of
mailing lists. Spam started up within a few weeks.

My own solution is to (pay Gradwell to run) SpamAssassin and use
procmail locally. Anything scoring 5 or more never gets looked at, 2-5
go off to mailboxes which I sometimes inspect, and the junk hitting my
main mailbox is bearable.

I have never published my works email address, yet the amount of spam it
gets is climbing. Outlook address book grabbing malware is probably the
cause.  All our addresses are relatively new due to a reorganisation,
and we temporarily, and then permanently, dropped our old domain due to
the amount of spam it was getting.

--
Adrian Wontroba