[SC.LUG] .deb vs rpm & Novell controversy

Simeon Farrington sub_mail at farrin.org.uk
Sat Nov 25 10:31:57 GMT 2006

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006, Richard Smedley wrote:

> Okay, bypass Ubuntu, and go straight for Debian Unstable (or Testing),
> and you'll have no more problems, ever, honest ;-D
>
> At least the TeX packages seem quite good, and more than thirty window
> managers are easily installable, with none of this nearly-undefeatable default
> settings nonsense that Ubuntu does because it Knows Best ;).

If you're at all nervous about bu%%ering things up (or having them done
for you!) go for testing unless you really need bleeding edge versions of
things. Of course, if you like mending a machine that's suddenly expired
after a apt-get dist-upgrade* then unstable might be for you..... :)

I used to track unstable but I prefer testing now as I've not the time any
more to tinker with things when they've gone creekwards!

Simeon

* for those of us that a GUI front-end is just a little bit too exciting
:)