[SC.LUG] Internet Connectivity

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Thu Aug 2 16:03:08 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-08-02 at 15:15 +0100, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> My permissions problem having been resolved, I continue to have internet
> connectivity problems.
>
> My internet connectivity in Ubuntu 7.04 has now dropped from a few
> minutes a day to zero. I have to use another machine (using the same
> router) to get online. I can log into the router using Ubuntu, but not
> get online at all.
>
> When I had that problem in Windows last year it turned out to be a DNS
> problem.

Use a text browser (e.g W3M) and a real address, e.g.:
w3m 212.58.251.201
to check that you have access, then try:
w3m www.bbc.co.uk
to see if there's a DNS problem.

> Can someone help with suggestions for how to fix this?

iirc, Ubuntu defaults to IPv6. Some ADSL routers don't seem
to like this at all, and hence your problem. Test it by using an
app you can switch between IPv4 & IPv6, after putting in a real
DNS server (e.g. not your router) in your /etc/resolv.conf

If this is the problem you need to persuade Ubuntu to boot up
with all ideas about IPv6 removed, and also persuade Firefox
of the same.

You can find posts on doing both in this thread:

Another solution may be TCP Window Scaling and kernel 2.6.17+
see:
http://inodes.org/blog/2006/09/06/tcp-window-scaling-and-kernel-2617/

hth,