[SC.LUG] Internet Connectivity

Paul Sinclair "paul,sinclair" at which.net
Wed Aug 8 16:18:28 BST 2007

Richard Smedley wrote:

> Use a text browser (e.g W3M) and a real address, e.g.:
> w3m 212.58.251.201
> to check that you have access, then try:
> w3m www.bbc.co.uk
> to see if there's a DNS problem.

Thank you Richard this eventually solved my problem. Firefox was choosy
about which sites it would connect to.
w3m 212.58.251.201
worked and
w3m www.bbc.co.uk
gave
w3m: Can't load www.bbc.co.uk
after adding a nameserver line to /etc/resolv.conf w3m www.bbc.co.uk
worked but Firefox still had problems.
I run 64 bit Ubuntu 6.06 and have a 32 bit chroot for Firefox. A 32 bit
terminal behaved as a terminal had before. I found a second resolv.conf
in /chroot/etc. Once that was fixed everything worked.
So thank you again.
I had a problem replying to this list which I think has come up before.
Reply gave Richard's address and Reply All added the list.
Do I need to do something in Thunderbird?
Paul