[SC.LUG] ManLUG Meeting Saturday 17th February 2007

Adam Huffman adam.huffman at manchester.ac.uk
Thu Feb 15 11:54:20 GMT 2007

The next meeting of ManLUG will take place on Saturday 20th January at
2pm, in the Lascelles-Williams room of the Kilburn Building, University
of Manchester.

Robin Joinson will be giving a talk entitled:

"A Peek at History: MCC Interim Linux under QEMU and the SIMH PDP11
Simulator"

Here's Robin's preview of the talk:

Many old UNIX systems, for example the first five editions of UNIX, have
been 'lost' to the point where it is no longer possible to experience a
running system.

The vast amounts of CPU power and memory on modern PCs, combined with
emulation tools, make it possible to bring these systems back to life,
use and study them.

This short talk looks at a couple of practical examples:

- the Manchester Computing Centre Interim Release of Linux, the first
  Linux distribution, which first came out in February 1992.  MCC
  Interim will be shown running under the QEMU PC emulator.

- the much older UNIX Edition 6, c.1974/5. This will be shown running
  under the SIMH PDP11 package from the Computer History Simulation
  Project.

Audience participation is encouraged to help me fill in the gaps. I have
heard that the author of the MCC Interim Release and the owner of a real
PDP11 might be present at the meeting!

Best Wishes,
Adam Huffman