[SC.LUG] Ubuntu help needed

Dave Love glorishears at gmail.com
Wed Jan 17 16:20:57 GMT 2007

On 17/01/07, Marroc Danderfluff <marrocdanderfluff at yahoo.co.in> wrote:

> Can someone help me?

Well, since I've just been doing Ubuntu server...

> I have installed Ubuntu server edition and want to set it up in several
> ways:
> - Backups to external USB hard drives

backup-manager (from the universe repository) is probably suitable, but you
don't want backup media (permanently) attached to the box, and if you're
serious, use tape.

> - Apache/PHP Document Management System with https on the Internet for
> authenticated users

Assuming you did `Install LAMP server', you have apache2 and php5.  Ignore
what the server guide says and run `apache2-ssl-certificate' to generate a
self-signed certificate, add `Listen 443' to ports.conf and
	SSLEngine on
	SSLOptions +FakeBasicAuth +ExportCertData +CompatEnvVars +StrictRequire
	SSLCertificateFile /etc/apache2/ssl/apache.pem
to the default site file.

You'll have to decide for yourself what to use for document management,
depending on what you need.  Use `apt-cache search' for available
packages and check their home web sites.

> - Samba as LAN server for Windows clients

apt-get install samba samba-doc
and then hack on /etc/samba/smb.conf after reading the doc.

> - VPN for Windows clients

I guess you install openvpn, but I've never used it.

> What I need is to pay someone for a 'quick start'. I'm not even sure if
> Gnome or KDE are installed. It isn't clear from the Ubuntu Server Guide.

Not by default, and you probably don't want them on a server.  (The Server
Guide is somewhat buggy and incomplete.)

> So far, I've managed to sudo and shut-down. Tonight I'm going to set up eth0
> so that I can access my LAN and the Internet.

The installation should have walked you through that.

> I have to admit that I'm
> terrified of iptables though. It seems complicated even though I have a
> fairly good knowledge of TCP/IP.

Don't hack iptables directly.  Use one of the tools the guide recommends.
(I use fwbuilder since I have Solaris as well as GNU/Linux.)