[SC.LUG] Re: Ubuntu first steps apt-get and openssh

Richard Pineger richard.pineger at techdocdirect.com
Tue Jan 23 11:54:54 GMT 2007

Happily, I now have sshd running so that I can access the server from my
laptop using Cygwin.

I gave up on accessing online repositories and used the Ubuntu server CD
which leaves me with the problem of no security updates etc. but I can work
on that later. I was on the Ubuntu freenode for about 2 hours last night
hmills helping me. We even managed to use wget to get the packages but
apt-get was still not updating and giving 404 not found. I wonder if it
needs some gpg certificates installing?

The next challenges are Samba to make it a fileserver and the document
management system which I'll download with wget.

Cheers,
Richard