[SC.LUG] Re: Ubuntu first steps apt-get and openssh

Richard Pineger marrocdanderfluff at yahoo.co.in
Thu Jan 25 09:55:35 GMT 2007

> Dave Love wrote:
>
> > More than that, I can open the Package.gz files in Firefox
> using the
> > links in this email The server is behind a NATs router/firewall on
> > 192.168.1.1 I don't know if that makes a difference here?
>
> I guess you need to configure your http_proxy in
> /etc/apt.conf (man apt.conf) and/or set the http_proxy
> environment variable.  If the installer doesn't prompt you
> for that (I can't remember) it's a bug which should be reported.

Hi Dave, and thanks. I've bought some time with Carl at ITS Linux. He sorted
it out in a jiffy by deleting the dysfunctional apt.conf file and allowing
it to regenerate. It contained a reference to my router as a 'gateway' which
meant that, although every other process could contact the internet, apt
failed.

My next problem is that my second hard drive is not 'seen' by linux. I want
to format it but it is not present on hdb for fdisk to find. I guess I'll
need to look into fstab and see what is there.

Cheers all,
Rich