[SC.LUG] Ubuntu Glitch

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Fri Jul 27 19:34:29 BST 2007

Matthew Tolley wrote:

> Hello there,
>

> I have a small problem when I log into Ubuntu 7.04.

from a shell do

sudo chown username /home/username/.dmrc
sudo chmod 644 /home/username/.dmrc

Where username is your erm... username.

That is assuming it's just an issue with the individual file. It's quite
likely that it's your home directory itself that's at fault in which case...

sudo chown -R username /home/username
sudo chmod -R u=rwx,g=rx,o=rx /home/username should do it

That would give all users on the machine read access to your home
directory though, I tend to do

sudo chmod -R u=rwx,g=rx,o-rwx /home/username

to deny them this.

I doubt this is causing the problems with the network though. I'm a
little stumped as to what this might be if you say you can get to the
router on your Ubuntu machine and to the internet on other machines. I
have had some problems on Ubuntu 7.04 with the network applet behaving
funnily with more than one ethernet card (dual onboard) so it might be
worth having a click on the applet in the systray and seeing if it's
selected the wrong one for some strange reason.

George