[SC.LUG] Results so far of 64 bit upgrade

Paul Sinclair "paul,sinclair" at which.net
Tue Oct 2 17:09:13 BST 2007

Matthew Tolley wrote:

> Hello all,
>

> I've installed 64 Bit Xubuntu Feisty onto a new Hard Drive and must say
> I'm quite pleased with the results so far.
>
> All I've changed is from an IDE Hard drive to SATA, from 32 Bit OS to 64
> Bit, and from Gnome to XFCE.
>
> My total boot time has reduced from 1 min 55 seconds to 1 min 20
> seconds. Everything seems a little quicker. In fact I'm waiting for a
> downside!
>
> I couldn't install WINE at all because apparently it doesn't support 64
> bit, but this is not a huge problem because I haven't had cause to use
> it yet.
>
> Also for some reason ClamAV didn't install correctly, but at the moment
> I'm not sure why.
>
> I also hear there may be website plugins that aren't well supported by
> the 64 bit version. Is this anywhere near accurate?
>
> Regards,
>

> Matthew

I'm running 64 bit Dapper and have a 32 bit chroot in which I run
Firefox with 32 bit plugins. Other apps only available in 32 bit form
can be run there such as Opera browser. There are complications such as
two instances of /etc/resolv.conf that have given me trouble. So don't
do it unless you need to.

Google for ubuntu chroot to find out how to install a 32 bit chroot.

Hope that helps

Paul