[SC.LUG] Results so far of 64 bit upgrade

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.com
Sun Oct 7 12:08:44 BST 2007

Thanks to Ian and Paul for advice on 32 vs 64 bit.

After problems reading my employer's .aspx files on 64 bit, and a few
bugs with downloads etc, I had some very constructive advice form Ian
and reluctantly reinstalled a 32-bit OS. Much as I'd love the extra
speed, functionality is more important at this point. Oh, and went back
to Gnome in the process, although I plan on having a play with KDE soon too.

My boot time (I use this as a general guideline to speed) is now 1 min
37 seconds, not 1 min 55 seconds as it was with the IDE Hard drive. So
I've gained 15% speed by changing hard drive, and the other 15% was
gained by changing to 64-bit and a slimmer GUI.

I did this last Saturday and enjoyed 24 hours of problem-free internet
use on Linux before downloading (on Sunday) enough free, open-source
software to sink a battleship (it took about 6 hours, and no restart
needed - try that on MS!).

Interestingly, following the software download and old problem returned
- my OS keeps losing its DNS settings 3 or 4 times per hour. I keep
having to re-set the location. This feels like a software conflict. So
which program is interfering with my network connection? Is there a
user-friendly log somewhere that allows me to see when I downloaded
certain packages so I can find out that way? Also how do I fix my DNS
problem?

Best wishes,

Matthew