[SC.LUG] Results so far of 64 bit upgrade

ian spyro at f2s.com
Sun Oct 7 21:22:31 BST 2007

On Sun, 2007-10-07 at 13:09 +0100, George wrote:

> I would say it's more likely that you haven't set the DNS settings in
> your router and that DHCP is overwriting the manually set values on
> your machine with the ones from the router. Maybe.
>
> That said your machine shouldn't be renewing it's DHCP lease quite
> that frequently. If you try running "dhclient" from a command line
> that should tell you how long the leases last for.

Speaking of DNS problems...

Im finding that a LOT of routers are causing my (debian) machiens grief.

if I use the routers default settings (DNS proxying) the router
correctly advertises itself as DNS server in DHCP requests, however,
trying to connect to sites results in (usually) failure.

if I force my machines to use my ISPs DNS servers, rather than letting
the router proxy it, it all works fine.

weirder still, if I use dig to get DNS info when the router is proxying,
sometimes I get valid lokoing records, sometimes (repeating the same
command) I get bogus records (10.0.0.1, etc.)

this seems to be a problem not linked to the router firmware - it occurs
on my billion (billions own OS IIRC), my friends SKY router, and another
friends linux-based router (commercioal unit, runs 2.4 kernel).

Anyone else seen this ?