[SC.LUG] Results so far of 64 bit upgrade

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Sun Oct 7 13:11:28 BST 2007

Matthew Tolley wrote:
> Interestingly, following the software download and old problem returned
> - my OS keeps losing its DNS settings 3 or 4 times per hour. I keep
> having to re-set the location. This feels like a software conflict. So
> which program is interfering with my network connection?

I would say it's more likely that you haven't set the DNS settings in
your router and that DHCP is overwriting the manually set values on your
machine with the ones from the router. Maybe.

That said your machine shouldn't be renewing it's DHCP lease quite that
frequently. If you try running "dhclient" from a command line that
should tell you how long the leases last for.

If that doesn't match up and you do think it's a piece of software you
could try viewing your /etc/crontab file to see if there are any jobs
set to run frequently that might be causing it.

George