[SC.LUG] Transferring to linux

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Mon Oct 8 08:56:28 BST 2007

Matthew Tolley wrote:
> (1)     In MS regular Registry cleaning and spyware sweeps were needed
> to maintain speed and security. What kinds of maintenance should I do
> regularly on linux, and how often?

Apply all the updates released by your distribution. For a home desktop
I'd say the only thing you need to do is check you don't run out of disk
space. If this were a publicly accessible server there's all sorts of
fun monitoring stuff you can do to check you're not being hacked (IDS
systems and the like) but I would say that's overkill otherwise.

Personally I also reinstall with every new version (or every other new
version) of the distribution. I find that I can end up installing many
programs I don't use and while this doesn't slow down the system it can
make it harder to sort out the files that belong to those programs you
do use.

> (4)    On other OSs, having more than one AV is a no-no. Is this also
> the case on Linux? For some reason ClamAV hasn't configured correctly on
> my machine. How do I fix this? Does anyone use F-Prot or Aegis and how
> do you rate it?

As long as you keep up to date with patches and trust the software you
run then I wouldn't worry.

I've got ClamAV running on my mail server but I don't use it on the
desktops.

George