[SC.LUG] [Fwd: Help develop a qualification for technicians using Free Software

Richard Smedley smedley358 at btinternet.com
Tue Oct 9 07:54:34 BST 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 19:45 +0100, Geoff wrote:
> > thePILOTS is due to be launched in the new year and we are looking for
> > people to collaborate in the development of the qualification.  The
> > qualification will be operating system independent, but the materials
> > will be developed for GNU/Linux.

> That looks like a very good pro-active response to a lot of the
> things that people are commonly discussing.

Indeed - anyone looking to employ a young person to train
up as a sysadmin has noticed the severe decline in IT awareness
in the UK since the early to mid nineties :-/

The INGOTs was the first qualifications to raise awareness
of Free Software in schools - this should build on that, although
it was first conceived of to help with the training of
voluntary sector ``accidental techies'' :-)

Does anyone see much application of this for junior staff in
their businesses?