[SC.LUG] [Fwd: Help develop a qualification for technicians using Free Software

George george at goatadsl.co.uk
Tue Oct 9 10:08:14 BST 2007

Richard Smedley wrote:
> On Thu, 2007-10-04 at 19:45 +0100, Geoff wrote:
> Indeed - anyone looking to employ a young person to train
> up as a sysadmin has noticed the severe decline in IT awareness
> in the UK since the early to mid nineties :-/

I don't think it's so much that there's been a decline but rather that
there's a lot more chaff prompted by ideas of high dotcom salaries and
an idea that using MSN at home means they might quite enjoy a career in
IT.

> Does anyone see much application of this for junior staff in
> their businesses?

No... but don't worry, no-one's yet been foolish enough to let me
interview staff :)

Ideally, and I'm showing my biases here you ideally want to employ
someone who is interested in the subject, is able to motivate themselves
and can teach themselves from technical documentation.

So if you're having to send a new employee on a course to learn to
"Identify running processes from the command line" you're implying that
  you've employed someone who hasn't been interested enough (or able) to
learn that kind of thing for themselves - and it's not like with Free
Software there's anything preventing them from doing that at home.

On the other hand sending someone on a 2 or 3 day course that went into
detail on *just* LTSP or *just* VOIP or, and this is possibly the most
useful *just* replacing Windows file servers with Samba etc. then that
might be a bit more useful.

George