[SC.LUG] Transferring to linux - and File Managers

Robert Marshall robert at capuchin.co.uk
Wed Oct 10 19:53:05 BST 2007

On Wed, 10 Oct 2007, Richard Smedley wrote:

> On Wed, 2007-10-10 at 12:03 +0100, Matthew Tolley wrote:
>> Incidentally, what file managers do people like? I'm not sure
>> if Ubuntu defaults to Nautilus or Thunar, but I'm considering
>> alternatives that are easy to use and good-looking, with speed
>> of searching being a lesser consideration also.
>
> Ubuntu with GNOME uses Nautilus. I expect XUbuntu uses Thunar.
>
> The two most likely alternatives for graphical file manager are
> rox-filer and Konqueror. Which you will prefer is really a
> personal matter, however Konqueror works as a web browser
> as well, and can do things like drag-copy files between
> two remote servers over ssh, using fish://
>
> MC (Midnight Commander) runs on the command-line, but does
> everything that you need. You can also do most operations
> within Emacs, as I'm sure that Robert will confirm ;-)

Most?! well apart from dragging and dropping[1]. Copying across ssh quite
easily using machine2:fileName

As far as the mail headers in thunderbird are concerned - are there any
blank lines within the headers - if you do a show all? You've not got any
fancy addins which do things to the headers?
When I use it (I do sometimes use things other than emacs for reading
email) I just get 4 lines of headers in the normal view

Robert
[1]
(setq dired-dwim-target t)
(add-hook 'dired-load-hook