[SC.LUG] OpenOffice in schools

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Mon Sep 10 13:02:13 BST 2007

On Monday 10 September 2007, Kris Douglas wrote:
> Today I completed an assignment for IT in Linux. (We dont have any windoze
> machines in the house). So I saved it in a format supposedly compatible
> with Microsoft Office 2003, but...of course, microsoft's (lack of) support
> for open document format has redered the rather hefty assignment useless to
> the school. I think this is a pile of animal's fecal matter, the school
> should cater for the people that are actually using some software that is
> compatible with open formats available on the *nix platforms.
>
> I intend to complain at my school today to see if I can get some form of
> open solution for the software made available to us. But I am interested to
> hear your oppinions on this issue, and if its actually worth promoting.
>
> A rather peed off,
> Kris Douglas
>       Softdel Limited Hosting Services
>
>       Web: www.softdel.net
>       Mail: kris at softdel.net

Are the school requiring you to submit your assignment in a microsoft
compatible format, if so then this seems unreasonable unless they pay for you
to own a copy of MS office.

As it is I suggest you keep you your assignment as is and point you school to
where they can download free software to view it, e.g. open office.

 Dave.

--
Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.