[SC.LUG] 64 Bit OS

David Holden dh at iucr.org
Tue Sep 11 11:54:40 BST 2007

On Tuesday 11 September 2007, Matthew Tolley wrote:
> Hello All,
>

> It's come to my attention that my Athlon 64 3200+ PC is using Ubuntu
> 7.04 32-bit version!
>
> I'm not sure if this is responsible for any of the technical niggles
> I've been having but I am seriously looking at the 64-bit version which
> raises some questions in my mind...
>
> 1) How much of a speed improvement can I expect moving to 64 bit?
> 2) Are there any downsides to installing Ubuntu 64-Bit (eg reduced
> software choice perhaps)?

I'd be surprise if there were any day to day speed improvements. I think the
biggest gain would be if you have lots of RAM > 4G.

> 3) Do I have to do a complete reinstall?

I think so.  there are compatibility issues between 64 bit applications and 32
bit applications.

> 4) If I wish to upgrade to Version 7.10 next month, will this require a
> complete reinstall again or is a non-destructive upgrade possible?
> 5) What additional support (if any) do I get if I order a disc rather
> than downloading?
> 6) Apart from paying Canonical US $250 per year, what other paid-for
> support options are available?
>
> It also raises the issue of what GUI I use. This is a whole other
> subject so I'll ask that question in another email.
>
> Best wishes,
>

> Matthew

Dr. David Holden.

See: <http://www.gnu.org/philosophy/no-word-attachments.html>
regarding Word or PowerPoint. GPG key available on request.