[SC.LUG] 64 Bit OS

Matthew Tolley matthew at matthewtolley.com
Tue Sep 11 11:43:16 BST 2007

Hello All,

It's come to my attention that my Athlon 64 3200+ PC is using Ubuntu
7.04 32-bit version!

I'm not sure if this is responsible for any of the technical niggles
I've been having but I am seriously looking at the 64-bit version which
raises some questions in my mind...

1) How much of a speed improvement can I expect moving to 64 bit?
2) Are there any downsides to installing Ubuntu 64-Bit (eg reduced
software choice perhaps)?
3) Do I have to do a complete reinstall?
4) If I wish to upgrade to Version 7.10 next month, will this require a
complete reinstall again or is a non-destructive upgrade possible?
5) What additional support (if any) do I get if I order a disc rather
than downloading?
6) Apart from paying Canonical US $250 per year, what other paid-for
support options are available?

It also raises the issue of what GUI I use. This is a whole other
subject so I'll ask that question in another email.

Best wishes,

Matthew